Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sinbrychoff - Baltic Porter


I picked this up at The World of Beer, in the brewery district, downtown Columbus. Porters* are among my favorite styles and I had never heard of this brand let alone it coming out of Finland.

It's a black ale with a very assertive dark chocolate and coffee aroma. Thick and creamy the taste is fairly sweet. It kind of reminded me of dark fruits like plums or raisons until it finished. As the last bit goes down the hints of coffee and roasted malts come out but too little too late. In my opinion it's a little too "fruity" and needed more of the roasted goodness I love in porters. The alcohol is hidden very well so be careful of the second round as it may sneak up on you.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't get it a second time. There are much better porters. Who might you ask? Smuttynose and Flying Dog are excellent choices.

* Porters are a dark ale that predates stouts and some would say that if it weren't for porters stouts wouldn't exist. A good example of a porter will have very little hop flavor or aroma, be very roasty, almost coffee-like, and very smooth going down. They'll go great with smoked foods like barbecue, prime rib and even chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment